Friday, September 21, 2007

The Show Season Push

I'm facing a calendar that is edging into October and I have two craft shows in November and one in December and my inventory boxes are somewhat empty. It's time for that big push to get work done to fill the shelves of the booth! I just received over 30 lbs of clay from Bernie at KJP... I have a big order from Shades of Clay incoming and creative inspiration from Beeks Lane so I'm set!

My plan is to be working on small "production" items for the next few weeks- once I'm comfortable with the supply I can focus on larger One of a Kind items.
Currently I have 40 headless little moxies sitting on my work table, hopefully they'll be completed and tagged by the end of the day!
Each Moxie is approx 10cm/3.5" & the little hands are magnetic hematite.

2 comments:

  1. Gera,
    These look like they could be mezuzot (A mezuzah (Hebrew: מזוזה‎ "doorpost") (plural: mezuzot (מזוזות)) is a piece of parchment (usually contained in a decorative case) inscribed with specified Hebrew verses from the Torah (Deuteronomy 6:4-9 and 11:13-21). These verses comprise the Jewish prayer "Shema Yisrael," and begin with the phrase "Hear, O Israel, the Lord your God, the Lord is One."

    A mezuzah is affixed to the doorpost of Jewish homes to fulfill the mitzvah (Biblical commandment) to inscribe the words of the Shema "on the doorposts of your house."(Deuteronomy 6:9) Many families place a mezuzah on the front door only, but observant Jews fix one on every doorway in the home apart from bathrooms, and closets too small to qualify as rooms.[1] The parchment is prepared by a qualified scribe (a "sofer stam") who has undergone many years of meticulous training, and the verses are written in indelible black ink with a special quill pen. The parchment is then rolled up and placed inside the case. Here is a pic of a couple.
    http://www.jewishjournal.com/home/preview.php?id=7635

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful! I love the idea of art enclosing a prayer to send blessings through a home. I explored the web for images of mezuzots and was delighted.

    gera

    ReplyDelete

I always love to get comments!